“Beautiful, isn’t it? The moon, I mean. She’s watching us, you know? Her pretty silver eyes watch us while we sleep. Mad, too—like all the most beautiful ones. If she were a woman, I’d bend my knee and make her my wife on the spot. No, I didn’t ask you here to speak about her, though. The chains? For your safety, not mine. I’m cursed, you see. You must have suspected.
The sorcerer-kings called it “lycanthropy” in their day—passed on by a bite to make more of our kind. No, I could find no cure. Please, don’t be scared. You have the arrows I gave you? Silver, yes. Ah, you begin to understand. Don’t cry, sister. You must do this for me. I cannot bear more blood on my hands. You must end this. For me."
Inner beast: Wurm, Bear, Wolf, Boar, Owl, Rodent, Panther
Trigger: Intense Heat, Anger, Lunar Cycle, Fear
When you are wounded by a shape changer’s bite or claws, you gain the following two moves:
Unleash the Beast
When you experience your trigger, roll+CON.
- On a 12+, you resist the curse and do not transform.
- On a 10-11, you transform but remain in relative control of yourself. Choose three:
- On a 7-9, you transform and choose two:
- You can still communicate.
- You are in control of your inner beast’s violent urges.
- Your form is more humanoid than beast.
- You gain a combat monster move appropriate to your inner beast.
- You gain a non-combat monster move appropriate to your inner beast.
- On a 6 or less, you transform and your inner beast is in control. The GM will describe the nature of your savagery and the consequences.
Remove the Curse
On the eve of your transformation, melt 2 silver coins and apply to your beast mark/scar and roll+CON.
- On a 12+, You control the curse, losing all Lycanthrope moves and gain the move I’m Angry All the Time,
- On a 10+, you drive out the curse and lose all Lycanthrope moves,
- On a 7-9, you delay the curse. You may select a non-lycanthrope move the next time you level up and are SCARRED until you receive medical attention.
- On a 6- the curse is driven deeper into your essence. You gain another Lycanthrope move immediately and are SCARRED until you receive medical attention.
Once you have become a Lycanthrope, you must choose from the following moves when you level up:
Power of Blood
When you mix the blood of another lycanthrope with the silver used for Remove the Curse and perform a ritual chant, roll+INT.
- On a 10+, receive a +2 to your Remove the Curse roll.
- On a 7-9, receive a +1 and you are WEAK until you have a chance to rest.
- On a 6 or less, You are WEAK and SICK until you have a chance to rest.
Call of the Pack
Animals that are of a similar type to your inner beast see you as a one of their pack. When you call out for aid and are near animals of your pack, roll+CHA.
- On a 10+, you receive immediate aid.
- On a 7-9, you receive aid, but with a complication. Choose one:
- It takes longer than you would like.
- It isn’t as many or as strong as you would like.
- It will aid you and no one else.
For a few hours or days after you transform, your senses are heightened to levels that match your inner beast. After reverting back to your natural form, take a +1 Ongoing to WIS rolls relating to tracking and detection. This effect lasts until you fail a roll or the GM says otherwise.
Your inner beast is always just under the skin. When you let your inner beast show and make an attack, roll+DEX.
- On a 10+, deal damage and choose two.
- On a 7-9, deal damage and choose one.
- On a 6 or less, deal damage and you are WEAK until you can rest.
- Deal an additional 1d8 damage.
- Your attack has the Messy tag.
- Your attack has the Forceful tag.
- Deal 1d6 damage to an additional target.
I’m Angry All the Time
When you call upon your inner beast to aid you, roll+CON.
- On a 12+, you gain a couple physical benefits of your inner beast without actually transforming. Hold 3.
- On a 10+, you transform and hold 2.
- On a 7-9, You transform and hold 1.
- On a 6 or less, the beast resists you and you are CONFUSED until you have a chance to steady your mind.
- Spend 1 hold to perform an inner beast monster move.
- Spend 1 hold to quickly revert to your natural form.
- Spend 1 hold to take +1 forward to the next roll for the stat of your choice.
… fears me and with good cause.
With …’s help, I can be rid of this curse.
While transformed, I have dreamt of …
Death: Consumed by the Beast
When you have taken all of the Lycanthropy moves, the curse has corrupted you completely. Your inner beast bursts forth from your flesh, set free from the morality of your soul. It is the curse manifest. As it devours the remains of your ruptured body, your spirit grants its protection to one of your allies. They are immune to the curse of the lycanthrope and their touch is its bane.
If they already carry the curse, they are cured as if they rolled a 12+ for the Remove the Curse move.
from Grimworld by James Brandon Massengil (CC BY 3.0)